Some of my more enterprising friends and college-mates are doing projects. Some have even gone abroad for them. Good Luck to them, huh!!!
I have been acting as guide to two of them showing them around the city, you know the usual places- Victoria Memorial, Esplanade,
There are still others who have gone for industrial training for a first hand experience of how the job is done by the big shots, some enjoying it at exotic spots like Goa, others ruing it either because they have made a bad choice or due to plain bad luck have ended up at a crap place. My sympathy lies with them, and my advice that from next time “apna dimaag lagao, doosron ke baton pe mat jaao”. (It is meant for a couple of people, so if you are reading this, you will know I am talking to you. No hard feelings. :-)
Finally, there is the breed of procrastinators like me who decided: “WHAT THE HECK! ENJOY YOUR TIME AT HOME.” Mind you, I am not exactly partying away, I am getting some work done, only it seems to be lacking in direction at the moment. It involves Earthquakes!!! What else do you expect from a student of GEOPHYSICS?
Talking of enjoying, I am enjoying the regular storms (norwesters or kalbaisakhi as they call them) in the recent past. Too bad for the uprooted trees though. Got stuck in one of these when I was at Landmark yesterday with a couple of friends. So, we went back inside again.
Got my hands on two interesting books while I was there:
1. HOW TO RUIN YOUR LIFE.
2. HOW TO RUIN YOUR LOVE LIFE.
The inspirational author was Ben Stein.
Here are some excerpts from the CONTENTS pages of the books: (The one’s in bold are those which I especially liked)
First, "HOW TO RUIN YOUR LIFE"
- DON’T LEARN ANY USEFUL SKILLS
- CONVINCE YOURSELF THAT YOU ARE THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE
- KNOW THAT YOU ARE THE SOURCE OF ALL WISDOM
- TREAT THE PEOPLE WHO ARE GOOD TO YOU BADLY
- HANG OUT WITH THE WRONG CROWD
- USE DRUGS AND ALCOHOL FREELY
- KNOW THAT THE RULES OF REASONABLE, DECENT CONDUCT DO NOT APPLY TO YOU
- LIVE AS IF TRUTH IS RELATIVE- A DISTANT RELATIVE
- SHOW EVERYONE AROUND YOU THAT YOU ARE HOLIER THAN THOU
Once I had ruined my life, I went over to ruining my “LOVE LIFE”, which, of course, is non-existent.....as of now.
- REST ASSURED THAT YOU KNOW BETTER ABOUT EVERY SUBJECT THAN YOUR LOVER
- POINT OUT YOUR LOVER’S IMPERFECTIONS IN PUBLIC
- CARVE IT IN STONE: LOVE RELATIONSHIPS AREN’T PARTNERSHIPS, THEY ARE MASTER-SERVANT RELATIONSHIPS, AND YOU ARE THE MASTER (OR MISTRESS)
- REMEMBER THAT YOUR LOVER IS YOUR PUNCHING BAG
- PLAY PHONE GAMES- DON’T RETURN HIS/HER CALLS TO SHOW HOW COOL AND ALOOF YOU ARE
- DON’T EVER TELL YOUR LOVER “I LOVE YOU”
- ACT LIKE A BIG BABY ON DATES
- TAKE TOTAL POSSESSION OF YOUR LOVER’S HOME
- FLIRT WITH ANYONE AND EVERYONE- IN FRONT OF YOUR LOVER
- MAKE THE DECISION THAT YOU ARE GOING TO MARRY FOR MONEY- AND DON’T LET LOVE ENTER THE EQUATION
- HAVE AN AFFAIR WITH YOUR LOVER’S BEST FRIEND OR ROOM-MATE, AND TRUST THAT HE/SHE WILL NEVER FIND OUT or EVEN CARE!
- GET INVOLVED IN YOUR LOVER’S FAMILY BUSINESS
- BELIEVE IN YOUR HEART THAT THERE’S SOMEONE BETTER JUST AROUND THE CORNER AND TREAT YOUR CURRENT LOVER LIKE HE/SHE IS MERELY A TEMPORARY SUBSTITUTE FOR THE REAL THING
- WHEN THINGS ARE GOING REALLY WELL, START A FIGHT.
NOW THAT ALL ASPECTS OF MY LIFE ARE RUINED, I SHALL TAKE A LEAVE AND END IT HERE.….CIAO